A new District, known as "The District of the Ascension, Chelmsford" was formed in 1930. At this time there was no permanent Church, so the licensed building of St. Peter's was used for worship.
It was on the 29th September 1962 that the new Church of the Ascension was completed and consecrated, and thus became the Parish Church. The Lord Bishop of Chelmsford, John Tiarks officiated at the consecration ceremonies. The architect of the new Church was Lawrence King. Mr. King is well known for his modern Church architecture and his use of gold leaf in decoration. Features such as the eastward facing High Altar and Stations of the Cross depicted around the building, indicate the traditional form of worship observed.
Upon the completion of the Ascension building, St. Peter's was closed and many of its members were transferred to the Ascension. A number of those who were present at the Consecration Service in 1962 are still involved in the activities of the Church today, together with many who have joined over the years
During this time the Church has been fortunate to be served by faithful priests. The most outstanding was the late Father Thomas Gabriel Cousins, from 1951 to 1978. The Parish was then administered by Frs. Derek Cowie, Michael Fox and Michael Atkinson. They were followed by Fr Ivor Morris who served he parish for over twenty years from 1990.
A note of historical interest is that, when St. Peter's Church was demolished the font was removed to the Chelmsford and Essex Museum.